DWB Game Notes: FSU, Jan. 20, 2 PM, ACCNExtra
DUKE BLUE DEVILS (8-8, 0-4) AT #21 FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES (15-2, 3-1)
Game 17 • Sunday, Jan. 20 • 2:00 PM
Tallahassee, Fla. • Donald L. Tucker Center (11,500)
ACC Network Extra
Tickets: www.Seminoles.com…(888) 378-6653
Live Stats: www.GoDuke.com
Radio: Blue Devil IMG Sports Network
(620 AM, 99.3 FM, 96.5 FM, www.GoDuke.com, TuneIn app)
Radio Talent: Chris Edwards (PXP)
TV/Video: ACC Network Extra
TV Talent: Tom Block (PXP), Melissa Bruner (Color),
Lauren Swertfager (Sideline)
Duke Head Coach: Joanne P. McCallie (Northwestern, ‘87)
Record: 621-236 (27)
FSU Head Coach: Sue Semrau (Calif.-San Diego, ‘85)
Record: 406-240 (22)
Setting the Scene…
The Duke women’s basketball team (8-8, 0-4 ACC) will hit the road this weekend for Tallahassee, Fla., as the Blue Devils will face 21st-ranked Florida State (15-2, 3-1) Sunday, Jan. 20 at the Donald L. Tucker Center. Sunday’s contest will be aired live on ACC Net-work Extra with Tom Block (PXP), Melissa Bruner (Color) and Lauren Swertfager (Sideline) calling the game. It will also be carried on the Blue Devil IMG Sports Network via 620 AM, 99.3 FM, 96.5 FM, TuneIn app and www.GoDuke.com with Chris Edwards (PXP) on the air beginning at 1:45 p.m. (ET).
What is Next?…
Duke will return home for two straight contests against Wake Forest (Jan. 24) and Syracuse (Jan. 27) in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
• Duke will take on the second of two straight opponents from the state of Florida, after the Blue Devils took on Miami Thursday evening.
• Blue Devil rookie Miela Goodchild currently ranks 15th nationally among freshmen with her 33 three-pointers made. Her 45.8 three-point field goal percentage ranks second in the ACC and tied 16th nationally.
• Redshirt freshman Mikayla Boykin left the Miami contest in the second quarter with a right knee injury and did not return. She will be reevaluated prior to the FSU contest. Boykin had started five of eight games on the season.
Storylines/Other Blue Devil Notes…
• Both Jayda Adams and Jade Williams will each play in their 50th collegiate contest Sunday at Florida State.
• Duke will return home to host Wake Forest and Syracuse in back-to-back games Jan. 24 and Jan. 27.
• Senior Faith Suggs leads the Blue Devils with six charges taken on the season and 11 over her four year career.
• Mikayla Boykin’s 5.0 assists per game in ACC play ranks third overall. This was boosted by her 11 dimes at Georgia Tech.
• The Blue Devils faced back-to-back top 10 and undefeated teams to open ACC play for the first time in program history. It marked the first time since the 1990-91 season that the Blue Devils took on back-to-back top 10 teams to open ACC play (No. 1 Virgin-ia and No. 3 NC State).
• Duke has opened ACC play 0-4 for the first time since the 1992-93 campaign, which was Gail Goestenkors first season with the Blue Devils. That 1992-93 team opened ACC play 0-9. The Blue Devils have lost four straight games under Joanne P. McCallie for the first time in her 12 years in Durham.
• Haley Gorecki is averaging 19.0 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.0 steals and 2.0 assists in four games against ranked opponents.
• Joanne P. McCallie has featured four-game losing streaks as a head coach only two times prior to the 2018-19 campaign. Both were her first seasons as a head coach at Maine and Michigan State.
• Duke’s 11.3 steals per game in ACC play ranks second. Clemson leads the league with a 12.2 average. Haley Gorecki owns an ACC-best 3.5 steals per game average in ACC action.
• Leaonna Odom currently ranks 14th in the ACC in field goal percentage (51.7), T-16th in rebounding (7.0) and 24th in scoring (13.1).
• Over the last four games, Duke has averaged 11.3 steals a game and now ranks fourth in the ACC with a 9.9 per game aver-age.
• After dishing only 15 assists over the previous two games, Duke handed out a season-high 20 assists on the road at Georgia Tech.
• Duke held Wisconsin (53), Marist (56), UNLV (38), FGCU (41) and NC State (63) to season low points.
• In the ECU contest, Haley Gorecki and Miela Goodchild combined to score 45 points, 15 rebounds, six assists and five steals. Gorecki notched a season-high 26 points, while Goodchild added a career-high 19 points.
• Duke’s Haley Gorecki, Notre Dame’s Arike Ogunbowale and Syracuse’s Tiana Mangakahia are the only players in the ACC to have both a 10+ rebound and 10+ assist contest this season.
• The Blue Devils scored a season-high 83 points versus East Carolina.
• Redshirt junior Haley Gorecki and freshman Miela Goodchild have combined to drain 61 three-pointers on the season.
• Duke returns just 39.7 percent of its scoring from the 2017-18 season. It is the lowest returning scoring percentage since the conclusion of the 2013-14 season. The Blue Devils lost 43.7 points and 60.3 percent of scoring. It is the most since the 2013-14 season, which Duke lost 66.9 percent of its scoring.
• Duke graduated two of the best scorer’s in Blue Devil history – Rebecca Greenwell (1,874 points) and Lexie Brown (1,263 points in two years). They were one of the most dynamic scoring duos in the nation the last two years and Duke will have a much different look in 2018-19 without those guards.
• All 29 of Duke’s 2018-19 contests will be aired on some type of television between ESPN+, ACC Network Extra, ESPN2, RSN-TV, PAC 12 Network and Big Ten Network.
• Follow @DukeWBB and @CoachPDuke on Twitter to get the latest updates on Duke women’s basketball. Also, “Like” Duke Women’s Basketball on Facebook to get the latest videos, pictures and more. DWB is on Instagram at dukewbb.
A Look at FSU…
Florida State enters the contest with a 15-2 overall and 3-1 league mark. The Seminoles are 7-2 at home this season with losses to LSU and Clemson. Kiah Gillespie (18.1 points, 9.5 rebounds), Nicki Ekhomu (14.4 points, 24 treys) and Nausia Woolfolk (12.2 points, 3.9 rebounds) have led FSU on the season.
The Series with FSU..
Duke and FSU will meet for the 49th time in school history. The Blue Devils lead the series 37-11. In games played in Tallahas-see, Fla., Duke owns a 15-7 record, but has lost two straight. Last season in Durham, Duke upended the Seminoles, 79-66, which snapped a three-game losing streak to FSU. Coach P owns an 11-4 record versus the Seminoles.
Duke Players vs. FSU…
Haley Gorecki will face FSU for the first time in her career.
In her last meeting against the Seminoles, Leaonna Odom totaled a double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds. She added two steals, two assists and one blocked shot.
Jade Williams notched eight points and seven rebounds as a rookie last season.
On the Road…
Duke has totaled a 2-4 record on the road this season, including three straight losses.
The Blue Devils are averaging only 59.3 points a contest, while hitting 40.8 percent from the field and 26.7 percent from three-point land. Duke has featured a -5.5 rebounding margin.
Haley Gorecki has averaged 17.3 points, 6.7 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 3.5 steals. She is coming off scoring a season-high 22 points at Georgia Tech on the road.
Leaonna Odom has averaged 12.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.2 steals and 1.2 blocks. She has hit 54.8 percent of her field goals.
In three road games, Mikayla Boykin has averaged 10.7 points, 4.7 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 2.0 steals.
Moving Up Three-Point Charts…
In only 16 games, Duke freshman Miela Goodchild has drained 33 three-pointers, which ranks tied seventh on the Blue Devil freshman record charts.
Duke Freshman 3-Pointers Made List
1. 72 Rebecca Greenwell, 2014-15
2. 50 Abby Waner, 2005-06
3. 41 Wanisha Smith, 2004-05
41 Jenni Kraft, 1988-89~
5. 37 Georgia Schweitzer, 1997-98
6. 36 Dana McDonald, 1989-90
7. 33 Laura Kurz, 2004-05
33 Chelsea Gray, 2010-11
33 Miela Goodchild, 2018-19
10. 30 Jessica Foley, 2002-03
Goodchild’s 33 three-pointers ranks tied third among other ACC freshmen.
Player 3PM Games
Dara Mabrey (VT) 38 17
Elizabeth Balogun (GT) 38 18
Miela Goodchild (DU) 33 16
Mikayla Dickins (BC) 33 18
Marnelle Garraud (BC) 28 18
Gorecki Approaching Mark…
With two more assists Sunday, Haley Gorecki could become the second-quickest Duke player to notch 250 points, 100 rebounds, 50 assists and 50 steals in a season. She would accomplish this in 17 games, which is one game after Alana Beard, who did it in 16 games in 2001-02.
One of a Kind…
Duke redshirt junior Haley Gorecki is one of only five players nationally and the only power five conference player averaging over 16.0 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 3.0 steals on the season.
Gorecki currently ranks tied eighth in the ACC in scoring (16.3), second in steals (3.0) and tied second in minutes played (34.9).
No Blue Devil in school history has ever averaged over 17.0 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 3.0 steals. The closest was Alana Beard (22.0 points, 6.9 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.8 steals in 2002-03).
Boykin Impressive in Return…
In her eight games since returning from injury, redshirt freshman Mikayla Boykin has been very impressive and a spark for the Blue Devils. She has averaged 9.4 points, 4.1 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 2.0 steals in the seven contests.
Boykin scored a career-high 13 points at ninth-ranked NC State and has registered double-digit scoring in four of the five games this season. Against the Wolfpack, Boykin hit a career-high 3-of-3 treys in the first quarter and scored nine points in the first 10 minutes. She added a career-high 11 assists at Georgia Tech. Her debut came 361 days since she tore her ACL on Dec. 10, 2017 against Winthrop. Boykin received a medical redshirt for this past season and will have four years of eligibility remaining.