Jimbo vs. Alabama-Birmingham
Jimbo Fisher was in the mix to become the head coach at UAB in 2006 before things fizzled out. Fisher settled for becoming the coach-in-waiting at Florida State. Now Fisher will be leading Texas A&M against the 9-1 Blazers. Wonder how things would have been different for the Seminoles if Fisher went to Birmingham, not Tallahassee.
Eye on the NFL draft
Bucs fans looking for potential replacements for QB Jameis Winston should keep an eye on West Virginia QB Will Grier. The former Gator is in the top 12 in every major passing category and has an arm worthy of first-round discussion. Plus he has a chance to shine against a shaky Oklahoma State secondary.
4 coaches on the hot seat
1. “Hot seat” might not be the right phrase for Bill Snyder, but the Kansas State legend has lost five of his last seven games. His run seems over.
2. North Carolina’s Larry Fedora is 1-8 and would be 1-9, if a hurricane hadn’t canceled his game against UCF.
3. Two years after earning national coach of the year honors, Colorado’s Mike MacIntyre could be out if his 5-0 start fizzles into a 5-7 season.
4. USC’s Clay Helton might need to beat rivals UCLA and Notre Dame to save his job.
4 rising coaches to know
1. Appalachian State’s Scott Satterfield is 37-11 since 2015 and would make a lot of sense for UNC.
2. After going 4-8 in Year 1, Neal Brown has Troy in contention for a third consecutive season with at least 10 wins.
3. Pencil Purdue’s Jeff Brohm in for the Louisville job, assuming the native son wants to clean up Bobby Petrino’s mess.
4. Louisiana Tech’s Skip Holtz flopped at USF. But his Bulldogs are 7-3 and headed for a fifth consecutive bowl. Is that enough for a promotion?
Notre Dame moved this Syracuse game from South Bend to Yankee Stadium as part of its Shamrock Series home-away-from-home scheduling. Given the College Football Playoff implications and the buzz around the Orange, the Irish might be regretting the decision to move the game to New York now. Regardless, the Irish are 16-6-3 all time at Yankee Stadium.
“You’re like a pitcher. You better have at least two pitches. If you’re throwing just one pitch they’re definitely going to hit it over the fence in Yankee Stadium.” — Syracuse coach Dino Babers on mixing up his defense against the Irish
By the numbers
28 — Consecutive games UCF has forced at least one turnover
9 — Team-high career pass breakups for Syracuse DB Scoop Bradshaw (Plant High)
18 —Rushing yards needed by USF’s Jordan Cronkrite to become the fifth 1,000-yard rusher in program history
24 —Touchdown passes by Florida International QB James Morgan, who passed Gaither High alumnus Alex McGough for the school’s single-season record
0 —Touchdown passes for Miami over the last two weeks
2012 —The last time the Hurricanes went back-to-back games without throwing for a touchdown