The No. 4 Virginia Cavaliers thoroughly dominated the No. 9 Florida State Seminoles on Saturday in the two teams’ ACC opener.
The Wahoos had amassed a 61-34 lead when Tony Bennett called the dogs off and pulled the starters out of the game.
The Seminoles closed the game on a 18-4 run, including the last 16 points of the game and even then, UVA defeated Florida State, 65-52.
Virginia was led in scoring by junior sharp-shooter Kyle Guy, who finished with 21 points, including hitting 5-of-6 from behind the arc.
Braxton Key came off the bench to score 20 points on 7-of-11 shooting.
Check out the highlights and game notes below courtesy of VirginiaSports:
• Virginia has started 13-0 for the first time since starting 19-0 in 2014-15
• The Cavaliers have an 11-game winning streak in ACC openers
• UVA is 10-0 in ACC openers under head coach Tony Bennett
• Virginia has won seven of the last nine meetings against Florida State
• UVA has limited Florida State to fewer than 70 points in each of the last 16 meetings between the teams
• Head coach Tony Bennett is 8-7 all-time vs. Florida State.
• UVA is 3-0 vs. ranked opponents
• UVA held FSU scoreless for 6:13 of the second half
• Guy set a school record with 11 consecutive 3-pointers over the past two games (Made last six vs. Marshall and started 5 of 5 today)
• Key had a season-high 20 points
• Key matched a season-high with a pair of 3-pointers
• Guy has a 13-game 3-pointer streak and has made two or more 3-pointers in each of the past four games
• Guy is 12 of 15 from 3-point range over the past two games and 19 of 31 during the past four games